I know that the holidays are not just about "giving"...it's about spending time with those that you love. Even so...there is the hustle and bustle of the season where we all pick the "perfect" gift for those that we love....AHHHHH...but is it that easy? How many times have you received the "perfect" gift only to exchange it within days...or put it away in a locked closet never to be seen again....how many times have you smiled (that fake smile) and said how much you "loved" that gift?
This year I will be waking up Christmas morning in my son's home...for the first time I will be able to see my grandchildren open up their gifts and delight in the stockings...for the first time I will be able to spend the day in the company of my son and his family...
So...I search for the perfect gift...The children were easy...There are hobbies and things that they love...so I had no problem...in fact I actually had to decide which ones to get! My daughter in law was fairly easy too as we do shop together at times and I see what she picks up and likes...I can always go back and get it another time! (SURPRISE!)
But my son....well that is a different story...
I want to purchase something meaningful...I want something that lets him know the love I have in my heart for him and this reunion...Last year I made a book for him of all our E mail exchanges for the first year...illustrated with love...I also decided on a compass that was engraved with "WE HAVE BEEN FOUND"...this year I am at a loss...
The gift I am choosing is LOVE! The gift I am choosing is that we are together...we can sit side by side and watch as the children delight in ripping open the paper...I can sit next to him in church as we sing Oh Holy Night...I can marvel in the fact that we are able to finally do this...I am choosing LOVE for the "perfect" gift...
just not so sure what to give him to unwrap!
No comments:
Post a Comment
From your heart to mine!