All of us who are members of the adoption triad have our opinions on adoption...some good opinions...some are questionable...What is right? What is wrong?
And along comes Baby Veronica's story...
A birth mother who relinquishes her new born for adoption and a biological father who wants to keep her and the fight begins...Baby Veronica is placed with a couple, who adopt her, for 27 months during this time her biological father is going through the court system to get custody of his daughter. Finally he gets temporary custody,, and the court battles continue. 2 years later she is given back to the adoptive parents...all the while lawyers and courts and judges and media are all over this...OH MY! (all this is done in the name of LOVE for this little girl)
My thoughts just keep going back to why did this father not have the right to keep his daughter in the first place? I believe that ALL children should stay with a biological family member if at all possible...of course I know that there are circumstances where this is not in the best interest of the child...and YES it is all about the child for me.
My son was born in 1969 but it was not until 1970 that the final adoption papers were finalized. It was almost a year after his birth...I was flown to NYC to sign the final papers...The judge asked me if I was being "forced" to do this...NO....was I doing this of my own free will...YES....Do you want to see your son before you sign the final papers...NO...NO...YES....There he was sitting in a room with a young women of the court and he was playing with blocks....he was healthy...he looked happy...
I was already hurting...how could I now hurt him by taking him away from the only family he knew?...how could I hurt his parents by taking away their son? It haunted me for many years....did I make the right decision...42 years later I knew I had.
As for baby Veronica....I don't know...now she has 2 different families, and at 4 years old she is very aware of that...
I hope that they join together to bring this little girl the love of a village!
No comments:
Post a Comment
From your heart to mine!