Einstein's Dreams..

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face.    ~Edward P. Morgan


One of the things that my son and I have in common, is that we both like to read books (he is the only one of my 3 child who does!)...and we tend to have several going at one time! He does listen to books on tape while driving...he reads novels to his children every night...we both seem to have a passion for collecting children's books and we each have our favorites,  a lot of which are the same ones. I am not sure what it is about books for me...I like the feel of them in my hands...it amazes me whenever I pick up one of these flat collection of papers that they can open up worlds to me...a world that I can escape in...a world that guides me...a world that is comforting and sometimes confusing...a world that can bring me to tears and to laughter all on the same page...a world that helps me to understand myself better... a world where you suddenly notice things...you are paying attention to everything that is written on the page...(Something that I tend to overlook on some days of my life.) One night he was telling me about a book that he really liked, that I had not read, so I immediately purchased it.

Einstein's Dreams, a novel by Alan Lightman ( a fictional collage of stories dreamed by Albert Einstein in 1905...) I am enjoying it quite a lot...enough to write in the margins of the book!! Some books just make me do that! The book is about time..time traveling...short stories with different scenarios about what might take place if time stopped... or repeated itself, or changed in various differnt ways. 

While reading the book  it gave me fuel for thought...and I was wondering about my world...my perception of time at the moment...and this is where my thoughts went...


 
***
 
 
TIME:
 
As I view my clock, I see time clicking away...
and yet not moving at all some minutes...
There are parts of my time that are frozen in place...
a glacier of sorts...so thick and solid
that time seemed immovable...

until recently...
 
A tiny figure...
a beating heart held against another beating heart...
softly, securely, with love.
 
A tiny figure...a hand that I would never hold...
tears that would never be comforted by me...
laughter that would never be heard by my ears...
dreams that I would never see become reality.

AND YET...
a bond that could never be broken
by the lack of time or space...

In a moment, as if by some magic...
time leaps forward quickly...
unexpectedly...forward over decades...
and the glacier, so thick and solid
moves...shifts...and melts.

A tiny figure... now grown...
that opens up my heart...
A tiny figure... now grown...
to share the who, what, and where of life...
A tiny figure... now grown.

The frozen time melts.

pjm...2012


We began to decide when and where we would meet in person...

 
***(the mandala I choose today is from 2008 from an online class I took with the late Judith Cornell...a mandala healing class...I choose this one because it reminds me of a frozen heart being released from its glacier)

No comments:

Post a Comment

From your heart to mine!