In response to my birthday card letter...
...Like you, I too don't know if I feel the full impact of our reunion...thinking of it I realize it has only been a little over 4 months and yet it feels so comfortable...so natural... that at times it feels as if it has always been like this.
The missing piece of life...the magic...the surprise beginning that showed up just when we both thought it might not happen in our life time. The greatest discovery that we both were open to...the possibility that we held tight to...Isn't life full of beautiful and wonderful custom designed surprises?
I have chosen to believe that this reunion was timed perfectly. I honor our family ties...they are helping me to see not only where I have come from but also showing me a path where I would like to go. I am embracing all that this reunion is bringing into experience. I am grateful for all that I am learning and have yet to learn...as we experience everything that comes with family fully and completely.
Your thoughts about celebrating new things while trusty supports are not, brought to mind a girl scout song I use to sing, the refrain went like this: "make new friends, but keep thee old...one is silver and the other gold".
These are my thoughts: I believe we do celebrate the trusty supports daily. They are a constant...a familiar loving touch in our life every day. They may be silent like where our value system came from...they may be loud , like the laughter of our children....they may be a warm touch on the hand by one we love. Our hearts hold those trusty supports. Perhaps we do not declare our gratefulness for them as much as we should...perhaps that is a lesson for us...to make sure we share our gratefulness for their presence in our life more. New things are just that...NEW...we have not discovered yet the loving familiarity of them...we are learning how to hold them closely and where they will fit in our every day life. Does this mean we care more for one than the other? I do not believe so....but rather we are learning how to embrace and meld both of them together. One is gold...the other is silver gradually turning into gold.
So, I agree we are celebrating our newly found family...We are both present to this experience without slight to anyone. I know that the familiarity will come for us and we will become trusty supports for one another one day. For now, I love exploring...learning...and knowing you. You are so loved!***
I love taking pen in hand and writing to my son...to explore my feelings more in depth about some of the things we have talked about or some of the emotional responses I am having. I also like to send him "funny" cards...we are both partial to the "hoops and yoyo" Hallmark cards that talk!
I will read them in the store and if they make me laugh right out loud...that is the one! We have purchased the same card several times...arriving at our houses on the same day or within a day...some things we have in common are just funny like that...
***parts of a letter written to my son.

No comments:
Post a Comment
From your heart to mine!